Listed below are steps to follow to test your meter to find out if you have a water leak:
1. Test should be conducted for a thirty minute period, during which time no water is being used on the property.
2. Find your water meter. It is usually located in the front of the house in a covered box near the street.
3. Write down the numbers indicated on the meter at the start of the test.
4. Return to check the meter reading after 30 minutes have passed.
5. If the numbers have not changed, you do not have a water leak. If the numbers have changed, continue with the following steps:
6. Shut off the valves under all toilets in the house, and repeat steps 1-4.
7. If the numbers have not changed, you may have a running toilet that should be serviced. If the numbers have changed, this indicates water consumption even though water was not being used during the test. A plumber may be required to locate and repair the leak.