On the date of election, each of the council members and mayor shall:
- be at least 21 years of age;
- be a citizen of the United States of America;
- be a registered, qualified voter of the State of Texas;
- reside, and shall have resided for at least one year preceding the election at which he or she is a candidate, within the corporate limits of North Richland Hills;
- not be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liability due the City;
- not be disqualified by reason of any provision of any other section of the City Charter.
A member of the council ceasing to possess any of the qualifications specified in this section, or any other sections of the City Charter, or convicted of a felony before or while in office, shall immediately forfeit his office.
No council person shall hold any other public office except that of Notary Public, member of the National Guard or any Military Reserve, or a retired member of the Armed Services.
In accordance with State law, the City Secretary's Office will accept applications from qualified persons interested in running for City Council during the "filing period".
State law identifies the filing period as:
First day to file an application for place on ballot - 108th day before election
Last day to file an application for place on ballot - 78th day before election
During the "filing period", qualified persons may file as a candidate between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the City Secretary's Office at City Hall, 4301 City Point Drive.
Each application for a place on the ballot shall be accompanied by either a filing fee of $150 or a petition seeking the candidate's name to be placed on the ballot. Such petition shall be signed by a least 150 qualified voters of the City.
Mayor and Council Places 2, 4 and 6 will next be elected in May during even numbered years (first Saturday in May).
Council Places 1, 3, 5 and 7 will next be elected in May during odd numbered years (first Saturday in May).
View Election Day polling locations.
For additional information about City elections, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 817-427-6060.