Planning & Zoning Commission
Public Meetings During COVID-19
With the recent developments regarding COVID-19, Governor Abbott has suspended requirements for face-to-face interaction between members of the public and public officials during the COVID-19 pandemic. In alignment with recommendations from the CDC and local health officials to minimize and slow the spread of COVID-19, future City of North Richland Hills meetings will be conducted via video conference and City Hall will be closed to the public.
The video conference can be viewed at the following locations:
- Video conference - URL provided on each posted agenda. Members of the public wishing to address the Planning and Zoning Commission are encouraged to join the video conference to watch the meeting.
- City’s live stream (nrhtx.com/video) or (nrhtx.legistar.com) - Broadcast has a delay of approximately one (1) minute
- AT&T U-Verse Channel 99 - Broadcast has a delay of approximately one (1) minute
- Charter Cable Channel 190 - Broadcast has a delay of approximately one (1) minute
Written comments regarding an agenda item may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and address along with your comments.
Those interested in speaking at a public meeting may complete a Public Meeting Appearance Card. Cards will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. the day of the meeting.
- 7:00 p.m.
- First and third Thursday of each month
- City Hall (meetings are being conducted via video conference only)
4301 City Point Drive
Agendas, Minutes & Video
View agendas, minutes and meeting videos
Agendas are posted at least 72 hours prior to the meeting, as required by state law. Minutes are posted after they have been formally approved by the commission. Regular meetings are streamed live and are archived to watch on demand at your convenience.
|Justin Welborn, Chair
||Place 1||June 30, 2021|
|Jerry Tyner, Vice Chair
||Place 2||June 30, 2022|
||Place 3||June 30, 2021|
||Place 4||June 30, 2022|
||Place 5||June 30, 2021|
||Place 6||June 30, 2022|
||Place 7||June 30, 2021|
||Ex-Officio||June 30, 2022|
Board members are nominated by the City Council. The mayor is responsible for the nomination of the Ex-Officio. Nominations are subject to approval by a majority of the City Council. Members must own property within the city.
Board members serve two-year terms.
Powers & Duties
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall:
- Exercise control over all platting or subdividing of land within the corporate limits of the city and outside said corporate limits to the extent authorized by law.
- Make specific recommendations to the City Council whether a plat be approved or denied.
- Recommend a city Master Plan for the physical development of the city.
- Recommend to the City Council approval or disapproval of proposed changes in the zoning ordinance text or map.
The Planning and Zoning Commission is the busiest of the boards and commissions of the city. It holds the initial hearing on each application for rezoning and makes a recommendation to the City Council concerning each zoning or rezoning application it hears. The commission must comply with the procedural rules of Texas statutes and the city zoning ordinance. In case of conflict, the statute as interpreted by the courts, prevails. The commission is further charged with constant study of the best and most orderly land use within the city. The commission is not charged with policing the city to ensure compliance.
This commission is the original forum in all platting and replatting cases.
The Planning and Zoning Commission also acts as the Capital Improvement Advisory Committee.
For questions or more information about this board contact Planning Manager Clayton Comstock at (817) 427-6300.
All correspondence for the Planning & Zoning Commission shall be sent to:
Planning & Zoning Commission
c/o City of North Richland Hills
P.O. Box 820609
North Richland Hills, Texas 76182-0609
Fax: (817) 427-6303