Preventive Street Maintenance Program
The Preventive Street Maintenance Program provides the city with an effective street maintenance program to protect the public investment on all public streets and thoroughfares. This program consists of minor reconstruction, resurfacing, overlaying, slurry sealing and patching of public streets to preserve and extend the life of the pavement. This preventive maintenance keeps the city from having to pay higher costs for more extensive street repairs in the future and helps to extend the life expectancy of the pavement. Streets that have exceeded their life expectancy and can no longer be effectively maintained may be considered for the Capital Improvement Program.
Streets selected for the Preventive Street Maintenance Program are determined by using a pavement management system that inspects each street in the city and assigns a condition rating to the pavement. The condition rating is based upon the deterioration of the pavement. The latest citizen survey results and input from the Economic Development and Planning & Development Departments are also considered when selecting streets for the annual program. The number of streets selected each year is dependent upon the amount of funding available for the program.
- Asphalt overlays on 21 streets. An asphalt overlay consists of applying a 2 to 3 inch layer of hot mix asphalt on the street to level and waterproof the roadway. COMPLETED
- Asphalt slurry seal treatment applied to 33 streets. Slurry seal is a mixture of oil and crushed rock. When the mixture is applied it bonds to the pavement, sealing the street and increasing skid resistance. COMPLETED
- Asphalt microsurfacing treatment on 3 streets. This technique is similar to slurry seal but uses a mixture that is better suited for more traveled collector streets. COMPLETED
- Asphalt crack seal treatment applied to 52 streets. This consists of sealing the cracks in the pavement to prevent moisture from penetrating into the base and subgrade material. COMPLETED
- Partial concrete pavement replacement on 24 streets. This technique involves replacing bad areas of concrete pavement. The size of the area replaced can range from a few square feet to a few panels. IN PROGRESS
- Concrete crack seal treatment on 49 streets. This consists of sealing the cracks in the concrete pavement to prevent moisture from penetrating into the base and subgrade material. COMPLETED
Affected residents will receive notification from the city prior to any work on their street. Lane closures will also be posted on the city’s Facebook, Twitter and Nextdoor accounts. Motorists are urged to slow down in construction zones or anytime they see workers present. Questions about the annual street maintenance program may be directed to the Public Works Street Division at 817-427-6460.