Building Inspections & Permits
Notice to Customers
NEW E-SERVICES PORTAL
www.nrhtx.com/eportal and clicking on “Login or Register,” [eportal instruction guide]. Once an e-portal login is created, customers can then “Apply” for the Business (i.e. Contractor) License. .
E-Portal How-to Videos:
NEW CONSTRUCTION, REMODELS & ADDITIONS
- Permit applications and plans may be submitted via the e-portal 24 hours per day. Plans that are dropped off at City Hall or sent in via United States Postal Service or other couriers cannot be accepted. However, customers may register and upload their plans and other construction documents (PDF format only) at the digital kiosk located in the lobby of the Building Inspection Department.
- Plan revisions may be submitted in the same fashion as outlined above.
- Permit invoices will be emailed to the applicant and may be paid online through the city's online billing system. Fees must be paid before a permit can be issued.
- Once the permit has been issued, the applicant must print a full-size hardcopy of the city approved plans and maintain them on the jobsite throughout the duration of the project.
CERTIFICATES OF OCCUPANCY & TRADE PERMITS
- Applications, supporting documentation, plans, etc. for trade permits and Certificate's of Occupancy may be submitted online via the e-portal 24 hours per day.
- Permit invoices or payment requests will be emailed to the applicant and may be paid online through the city's online billing system. Fees must be paid prior to issuance.
- Permit invoices will be emailed to the applicant and may be paid on-line through the city's on-line billing system. Fees must be paid before a permit can be issued.
- Inspections have resumed within occupied homes, including inspections of single-family rental properties (see link above) and apartments. As a courtesy, occupants and contractors are asked to practice social distancing while the inspector is on site.
- Inspection requests for permits issued under the former permitting system can be made by calling 817-427-6333. Please leave your permit number and type of inspection needed. Permits issued under the former permitting system can be identified by the format of the permit number (e.g. "21-00003456").
- Inspection requests for projects approved under the new permitting system are automatically emailed to the applicant and/or contractor at the conclusion of the inspection and can also be viewed via the e-portal.
- Subsurface plumbing repairs such as slab leaks that are only accessible underneath a foundation must be video/photo documented by the plumber and provided to the building inspector for confirmation of compliance.
- Where applicable, the applicant must print a full-size hardcopy of the city approved plans and maintain them on the jobsite throughout the duration of the project.
Inspection results for projects approved under the former permitting system can be reviewed by clicking on this link: recent inspection results. Results for permits issued under the former permitting system can be identified by the format of the permit number (e.g. "21-00003456"). Inspection results for projects approved under the new permitting system are automatically emailed to the applicant and/or contractor at the conclusion of the inspection and can also be viewed via the e-portal.
The Building Inspection Department is responsible for issuing permits and performing inspections for new construction, additions and remodeling projects for residential and commercial properties.
The Building Inspection Department enforces the 2018 International Building Code, 2018 International Residential Code, 2020 National Electrical Code, 2018 International Plumbing Code, 2018 International Mechanical Code, 2018 International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 International Energy Conservation Code, 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, local zoning regulations, and certain state statutes relating to construction. The following link has been provided to view current published versions of the various codes adopted by the city: Online Building Codes. Please note that some sections of the online codes have been modified by local amendments and can be found in Chapter 98 of the North Richland Hills Code of Ordinances.
When Do I Need a Building Permit?
Most home improvement projects beyond cosmetic work require a building permit. The permit and inspection process helps protect your family from safety risks like structural failures, fire hazards or electrical shock. It may also help eliminate costly repairs for poorly completed work.
Following are some common projects that require permits:
- Installing or replacing water heaters, HVAC systems, water lines or sewer lines;
- Any electrical or gas line work (including valves);
- Replacing residential roof decking;
- Adding or replacing walls or windows;
- Pouring of concrete, widening / replacing driveway;
- Installing storage sheds 144 square feet or greater;
- Construction of carports or patio covers;
- Foundation repairs;
- Installing a tornado shelter;
- Installing lawn irrigation systems;
- Installing a fence, or replacing 4 or more panels;
- Building or replacing a deck more than 30” above grade or a retaining wall over 3 feet in height;
- Building or repairing a swimming pool or spa.
Projects that are cosmetic, such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, patching sheetrock, putting in cabinets and trim work, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing existing residential shingles, electrical lighting or plumbing fixtures.
Safety is the primary reason building permits are required. When a permit is issued, the city will inspect the work to make sure it is done correctly and in compliance with current building and safety codes. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to make sure that their contractor obtains the proper permit(s). Permits should be displayed on site until the work is completed and passes inspection.
For more information, please contact us at 817-427-6300.
David PendleyChief Building Official
4301 City Point Drive
North Richland Hills, Tx 76180
4301 City Point Drive First Floor North Richland Hills Tx 76180
24 Hour Request Line
For permits # with this format "20-0000XXXX" please use 817-427-6333
All other permits use this link: NRH E-Portal
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.