Water Fun Facts
Water & You
- Your body is 2/3 water. Your brain is 3/4 water.
- You could survive about a month without food, but you could only survive 5 or 6 days without water.
- To stay healthy, you need 2 to 3 quarts of water each day.
- The average person takes in about 16,000 gallons of water in his or her lifetime.
- Families turn on the faucet an average of 70 times in one day.
- Every person in America uses about 160 gallons of water a day. During medieval times a person used only 5 gallons per day.
- 2/3 of the water your family uses is used in the bathroom. About 2 gallons of water are used when you brush your teeth. Flushing a toilet requires 2 to 7 gallons of water, and a 10 minute shower can use 25-50 gallons of water.
- About 48,000 gallons of water are used to produce the typical American Thanksgiving dinner for eight people.
Water & Planet Earth
- The most common substance found on Earth is water. Water is the only substance found naturally in three forms: solid, liquid and gas.
- Less than 1% of all the water on Earth is available or clean enough to drink. The rest is salty or frozen.
- Once evaporated, a water molecule spends ten days in the air.
- Water serves as nature’s thermometer, helping regulate the Earth’s temperature.
- Water makes up 80% of an earthworm, 70% of a chicken and 70% of an elephant. Water also makes up 90% of a tomato, 80% of pineapples and corn and 70% of a tree.
- The amount of water is constant and recycled throughout time.
- A water molecule stays in the ocean for 98 years, in ice for 20 months and in lakes and rivers for 2 weeks.